HG101 writeup

This is the place to talk about all things Star Control.

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

Draxas
Atum-ta the Sixth

HG101 writeup

Post by Draxas » Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:58 pm

So, at long last, the folks over at Hardcore Gaming 101 finally covered the SC series. It starts here with SC1, and covers the 3 officially released games in the series. The articles pull no punches, and some of the details are not completely factually accurate, but I've known some of the writers are SC fans for years and was always interested to see their take on the series.

Quasispatial
Yehat Revolutionist

Re: HG101 writeup

Post by Quasispatial » Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:55 am

I somehow feel a bit offended that they think the Hierarchy is the more "powerful". Ask me, the Alliance simply relies more on skill, whereas the Hierarchy has more initial power but less capacity for growth as the player gets better. The Hierarchy's advantage only lasts so long as it takes for the other player to figure out how the Skiff and Terminator are supposed to be used.

Also can't fail so badly at diplomatics that you can't win, but eh. They made a good effort nonetheless.
"Sentient life. We are the Ur-Quan. Independence is intolerable. Blah, blah, blah." - the Spathi High Council, Star Control II.

Draxas
Atum-ta the Sixth

Re: HG101 writeup

Post by Draxas » Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:01 pm

Like I said, not totally factually accurate. A lot of the statements you could dispute the legitimacy of come from a place of having clearly played and most likely finished the games, but not really gone into huge depth with them like those of us in the fandom have. So it makes sense that first impressions of the Hierarchy are the ones that stick, solutions for diplomatic screwups were not really found (since they were most likely savescummed away), etc.