Writing Prompt: An Eluder crewed by 29 Spathi and 1 Ilwrath

Do you want to *play* with us camper? This is where *fun games* are had!

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

Death 999
ZFP Peacekeeper

Writing Prompt: An Eluder crewed by 29 Spathi and 1 Ilwrath

Post by Death 999 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:03 pm

I posted this on the Star Control Reddit sub, and figured I'd duplicate it here: Write a story inspired by the title of this thread. It doesn't need to have this as the title. There doesn't even need to literally be an Eluder with 29 Spathi and 1 Ilwrath.

glory_device
Ilwrath torturer

Re: Writing Prompt: An Eluder crewed by 29 Spathi and 1 Ilwrath

Post by glory_device » Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:08 pm

Just because my toddlers are driving me nuts:

30 little spathi went out one day
inside an Eluder and far away.
An ilwrath came and eat one whole
and only 29 spathis came back

1 little spathi went out one day
inside an eluder and far away
an ilwrath came and est one whole
and the Eluder crahsed into a star!
''I swiftly matured into a fine example of my species and with my parents' assistance, achieved independence.
Specifically, they pried me from the doorjamb, and rolled me into the street.'' -Fwiffo

Quasispatial
Yehat Revolutionist

Post by Quasispatial » Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:26 pm

In all honesty, I don't think I'll have time to write a response for this prompt. However, if I would have had time, this is the concept I had in mind, expressed in crude terms:

It is shortly before the Ur-Quan subjugation of the Spathi. Aboard the Black Spathi Eluder (should technically be Discriminator considering the time frame), there are thirty Spathi. One day, an Ilwrath kidnapped one of them. The other twenty-nine stage a daring rescue mission deep into Ilwrath territory to retrieve their lost teammate. After much peril, they eventually succeed, only to return to a race who, in the absence of their sole willing warrior-group, had been thoroughly subjugated and drafted into the Ur-Quan Hierarchy. So began the legend of the Black Spathi Squadron...
"Sentient life. We are the Ur-Quan. Independence is intolerable. Blah, blah, blah." - the Spathi High Council, Star Control II.

Death 999
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Death 999 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:57 am

I was thinking that the way the situation arises is not particularly interesting - along the line of the Spathi refilling crew from a colony established by Ilwrath - but that the Ilwrath would get into some sort of evil antics or dominance play or something.

Draxas
Atum-ta the Sixth

Post by Draxas » Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:20 pm

When you said "does not necessarily need to have Ilwrath present", the concept that stuck in my mind was sort of a horror/Werewolf style story. Out of the 30 crew, one is *other*, and is slowly eliminating the Spathi one by one for whatever nefarious purpose (or maybe the lack of one, which is it's own brand of scary). Meanwhile, the crew are panicked and desperate to root out and neutralize the *other* before it kills them all, but have no way to figure out which one of them is responsible.

Of course, at this point, I barely find time to read, let alone write like I used to. Alas.

Alvarin
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Alvarin » Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:55 pm

Not "pure" Ilwrath, an Umgah crossbreed.
"I want to play a game"
To be angry is to punish yourself for the errors of others.