A new custom way to play Star Control!

Wish there was something new in the SC universe? Check out what fan based initiatives are going on.

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

Dyandod
Yehat Revolutionist

A new custom way to play Star Control!

Post by Dyandod » Fri Dec 27, 2019 3:16 am

I've been hanging around a Star Control Facebook group (https://www.facebook.com/groups/2215792014/?fref=nf) and there's been a recent development! Here are two posts from SC ultra-fan John Battagline.

First (Dec 16):
Source code, anyone?

Ever wanted to add some new weapons, aliens, missions or features to the Star Control 2? Maybe just learn some coding?

Just like the Ultron, the code to the original game (open sourced by its creators over 20 years ago) has been broken, fragmented and spread throughout the internet. But last December, when my Dad was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer, I decided I needed a hobby to keep my mind off things...and I spent almost a full month over the holidays scouring the web and putting it all back together again.

I created a “stand alone” download that lets you rebuild the whole game at a push of a button.

Now that I have it all in one place, again, I was thinking it might be helpful to put it on a website alongside a tutorial on how to download, edit, build and play your own “version” of the game.

(I also made a version that “re-rolls” the map every time you start a new game...so you can re-experience the thrill / challenge of solving all the intricate puzzles, just like the first time.)

If anyone is interested, just let me know. I could prolly have it online in about a week. But...Im just not sure that there’s much of an audience for this sort of thing...

Second (Dec 21):
Want to play Star Control 2 with a procedurally-generated map? Love the old game, but want to play something with INFINITE replayability?

Or, would you prefer to edit the source code and make your OWN game?

As promised, I spent the week getting some old files together, and put both of these online on a website: www.InfiniteUrQuanMasters.com

This is a huge labor of love and a definite work in progress... so if you have any questions / feedback, please feel free to send it my way. I'd love to add some tutorials on how to modify / build the source code later, this week.

If you're looking for an escape over the holidays, download it and give it a try!

If you dig through the comments you can pick up even more info but basically he's been working hard to fix any inconsistencies caused by the change (a lot of dialogue must be changed whenever star names are mentioned, as well as clues like ZEX's clue for the beast). There are a lot of fans looking for bugs now so it shouldn't take too long to get polished.

I haven't had a chance to try it yet but I'm looking forward to what's in store!
KYAAAAAIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEE!

Borgie
Hunam adventurer

Re: A new custom way to play Star Control!

Post by Borgie » Mon Jan 06, 2020 1:52 pm

Hey, thanks for sharing this! It looks really cool (both parts).
I'm looking forward to trying out the randomized version when I've got time.... and breaking the code some day, when I've got *more time*.