FREE STARS: Children of Infinity crowdfunding on Kickstarter NOW (until May 17th 2024)

Ahh, vague omens and mysterious portents. Tangled webs of fate intertwined with the branches of destiny, blown by the capricious winds of happenstance. News, news....uh, actually there is some news!

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

krulle
Yehat Revolutionist

Kickstarter: Special livestream with Paul and Fred and Dan (on Twitch)

Post by krulle »

Special Livestream Today at 4pm PT wrote:We’re hosting a special send-off stream on Twitch at 4pm PT. Paul Reiche, Fred Ford, and Dan Gerstein will be there to express their appreciation, joy, and heartfelt thanks for all of your support during this incredible campaign. The campaign doesn’t end until 9pm PT, but we wanted to take a moment to be together, speak with you, and celebrate! Bring your excitement and snacks to share.

We hope you can join us today on Twitch as we talk about the wild 30-plus year journey we’ve been on to reach this exciting moment.

Let's make our final day an amazing one. Share this Kickstarter far and wide, and help us get as much support as we can!
Damn, that's 1 am local time (CEST, Paris, A'dam, ...).

Ah well.
I'll watch the recording later.
on Twitch
Children of Infinity:
late backers can pledge via backerkit

Pledge increases or extras for original backers will be possible at a later point in time.
Bleeding Star
Ilwrath spawn

Re: FREE STARS: Children of Infinity crowdfunding on Kickstarter NOW (until May 17th 2024)

Post by Bleeding Star »

Upgraded my pledge - really want that voice acting! Seems like it might be too late, though.

Funny, I remember really disliking the voice acting the first time I played UQM, having grown up with the PC version. I still think Hayes is phoning it in, but the rest of it is pretty great.
Draxas
Atum-ta the Sixth

Re: FREE STARS: Children of Infinity crowdfunding on Kickstarter NOW (until May 17th 2024)

Post by Draxas »

Looks like the voice acting goal has been met!

And I waited until the last possible minute practically, but I've put in my backing. I've never kickstarted anything before, and have been soured on the concept of pre-ordering for a long time, but this might have been the only project that could have ever made me reconsider.

Now the waiting begins in earnest. ;D-smf
Alvarin
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Alvarin »

There is half an hour left. Can we make the final stretch goal happen? It's mere 3,7 million off.
To be angry is to punish yourself for the errors of others.
Spaceport

Post by Spaceport »

Draxas wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 3:04 amAnd I waited until the last possible minute practically, but I've put in my backing. I've never kickstarted anything before
Same! I've closely followed other Kickstarter campaigns, but this is the only one I felt I needed to support.

The first two Star Control games were hugely influential to me, and even though I've gotten so much entertainment value out of them over the years, the creators have never really received a dime from me or my family. I first played Star Control I on a pirated 3.5 floppy disk (it skipped right past the requirement to input an answer to Professor Zorg's questions), which I didn't realize at the time as it was my older brother's. I then got the Sega Genesis port when video stores were selling their older rentals for just a few bucks each to make room for PlayStation games. Similarly, I bought a used copy of the DOS version of Star Control II off eBay and have been able to enjoy The Ur-Quan Masters on modern computers since almost day one. (I had dial-up, so the download time was around 26 hours, and I had to start over because I got disconnected during my first attempt with less than an hour remaining.) Needless to say, I see my contribution not only as a show of support for the sequel, but as a thank you (albeit a small one) for how much I've benefited from their past work.

I also ended up donating in the final hour. I was expecting the last minute surge to bring the total close to voiceovers, so I was waiting to see if it would help if I added a few hundred to my intended donation, but I had to stop following because a friend was having a rough night. At a little past 11 PM, I excused myself for 10 minutes to check in and give to the campaign. I didn't go overboard with my donation because it was just over $673,000 at that point, but I did make sure that my reward included a second digital copy for my niece.

I already felt great about being able to support them, but returning home to see that GIF of Dan dancing with his birds was the cherry on top. He is a delightful human being, and I love his eternal enthusiasm.
krulle
Yehat Revolutionist

Late backer info (if you still wish to donate, post-kickstarter)

Post by krulle »

Yeah, Dan's enthusiasm (and wonkiness) makes me believe, this will be a great game.
Dan's praise for Fred's tool (Simple) also sounds like a great thing.
And both being tight-lipped about Paul's story? Damn, it will be good!

And yes, this was my first kickstarter as well.
I've seen some interesting projects before, but was never into "pay months upfront", and some projects included physical rewards, where shipping is expensive for us Europeans, which I dislike (really, pay 30$ for a book that will be published in two years, but have 45$ shipping ???).
Also, I don't have a creditcard (simply not necessary here on our continent), but kickstarter doesn't accept anything else.
Luckily I found a great colleague willing to "lend" me his/her ccard. (S)He has my money already, but we'll adjust the exact value once the conversion rate $/€ is fixed by he booking.

Also, for those interested:

update about Campaign Stats, Survey Plan, and Late Pledges
Alvarin
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Alvarin »

I have participated in numerous Kickstarters, weirdly, none of those were unfunded, though several failed to deliver :(
Only one of them was as big as this one, though, goal-to-final wise, it was M3D micro campaign in 2014 and I still use that printer :D it got 3,4 M out of 50 K goal
Saddest were Animusic-3 that was successful, but vanished and Goblins:AR with very complicated history... Come to think of it, the Goblins, Animated project seems to also be quiet...
To be angry is to punish yourself for the errors of others.
krulle
Yehat Revolutionist

Post by krulle »

Yeah, I think the Goblins animated fully stalled.
Unlucky timing (networks don't buy).

And the Goblins:AR game ... Elli created the cards, did create a bit of the game mechanic, but they always found a tactic that always wins easily, ....
And her private life right now forbids any thinking of further investing time into that. (It wasn't her project anyway.)
Bleeding Star
Ilwrath spawn

Post by Bleeding Star »

I think this is my first Kickstarter too. I swear I backed Phoenix Point, too, but I can't see any record of it so maybe I just pre-ordered. For this one, I wish I'd checked the conversion rate with USD - gave a little more dosh than anticipated. All to a good cause, though!
Niffiwan
Silly Supox

Post by Niffiwan »

I missed the Kickstarter because their email notifications about it went to spam and I didn't notice until just now. But they say that there will be an option for late pledges for 3 months at least, which I'd consider.
Member since March 14, 2003