Why do i have to be so bad at star control 2

This is the place to talk about all things Star Control.

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

TheSniveLife
ZEXy Beast

Why do i have to be so bad at star control 2

Post by TheSniveLife »

Like seriously its my favorite game of all time and im so bad i can get to spathi and if im lucky pkunk i suck at fighting i HAVE to use cyborg to remotely be good or i just die every second how am i meant to get better if i cant because im so bad but like when im in super melee im amazing with only hierarchy ships but not ships you use ingame cmon we need hierarchy side mode
Dont click on that > Image
krulle
Yehat Revolutionist

Re: Why do i have to be so bad at star control 2

Post by krulle »

Sorry to hear that.
If it's a consolation to you, once you've done a bit of farming /resource gathering on planets, you can equip your flagship to be so uber, so won't need any of your companionships.

Also, always keep Fwiffo fully equipped with crew, if necessary during a mission, you can transfer crew from your flagship to the accompanying ships (or back) (use "Roster" menu for that).

Otherwise, the ships in the mission game are controlled by the awesome AI, you should definitely practice this in the Super Melee.
Especially using the Cruiser and/or Fwiffo against Slylandro and Ilwrath Avengers.
(That alone can bring you a lot of RU)

With Fwiffo, it's also a lot easier to use the Backwards Utilised Tracking Torpedoes. Use that to make the Slylandro follow you, and when they get closer, send off a barrage of the missiles.
Against the Avengers, it's necessary to aim slightly besides the Avenger, it will uncloak in a try to shoot down the torpedo, which then turns and starts flying towards the Avenger (and the Avenger will keep its fire nose towards you). If timed correctly, the torpedo will be out of range of the flames, but the Avenger will be in range of the missile, and the missile will thus fly around the flames and hit your opponent.
You need to be willing to get very close though.

But again, once your flagship is ready, the rest won't need to bother you anymore.
Alvarin
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Alvarin »

To add a bit, invest in the red speed modules on the Flagship. Just as in the real world, best way to be victorious in a fight is to not get into the fight.
To be angry is to punish yourself for the errors of others.
TheSniveLife
ZEXy Beast

Post by TheSniveLife »

I know most of the strategies, its just that im not able to be quick enough to do them, iv been planning once ive gotten enough RU to basically just make my ship spin around a bunch in fighting and fire the bullets in all directions, so its very hard to get past
The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte »

Welcome to SCDB TheSniveLife! I hear your having some trouble playing the game, or more specifically, having some difficulties in the ship-to-ship combat aspect of the game. I can definitely relate! Just ask anybody!

The advice given so far are some good standards (and it's a common practice for people to pump up the engines and avoid combat altogether as Alvarin recommends, even if it's in the beginning before you get your flagship up to snuff) and I would recommend investing in some extra cargo bays (yes, it finally sunk in folks!) and do some mining in the immediate surrounding areas which will for sure help to alleviate some of these troubles.

Fwiffo really is your best weapon in the beginning since the Eluder outclasses the AI probe, but only if you take the helm. I'll admit I've used my fair share of cyborg for when I felt I couldn't hold my own, but the AI will not favor Fwiffo in this situation, and if you're interested in how these battles tend to fall in the cyborg vs. cyborg match-ups, I can point you to some threads where I've studied them. krulle's recommendation of the infamous Spathi BUTT and retreat method is certainly tried and true, but I'll admit it does takes some practice to get down the timing of lulling the probe into the B.U.T.T. danger zone.

But what I'm interested in is... how are you doing so far in the game and how you've progressed in the overall story? I really enjoy hearing everybody's unique experience, which is one of the many great things about this game!

also

Do you have any specific match-ups you've had trouble and would like some recommendations? There are many around here who can offer various battle technique or alternative methods, such as using a different available ship.
“He tasks me. He tasks me, and I shall have him! I’ll chase him ’round the moons of Nibia and ’round the Antares maelstrom and ’round Perdition’s flames before I give him up!” ― Khan Noonien Singh
TheSniveLife
ZEXy Beast

Post by TheSniveLife »

I usually am able to get pkunk and spathi, maybe arilou/orz in many of my playthroughs, but fuel is a huge problem and the ur-quan space in the middle of hyperspace
Though for ship matchups i havent gotten in fights other then probes
TheSniveLife
ZEXy Beast

Post by TheSniveLife »

I usually am able to get pkunk and spathi, maybe arilou/orz in many of my playthroughs, but fuel is a huge problem and the ur-quan space in the middle of hyperspace
Though for ship matchups i havent gotten in fights other then probes
TheSniveLife
ZEXy Beast

Post by TheSniveLife »

Oops, didnt mean to post twice, im new to these discussion boards, sorry
The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte »

Have you been able to discover ways to enhance your flagship? Mining can accomplish much in that area, but there are other ways to turn the Vindicator into a lean, mean fighting machine!... well, maybe not lean. ;)
“He tasks me. He tasks me, and I shall have him! I’ll chase him ’round the moons of Nibia and ’round the Antares maelstrom and ’round Perdition’s flames before I give him up!” ― Khan Noonien Singh
krulle
Yehat Revolutionist

Post by krulle »

Have you met other friendly races?

Some will be willing to let you build their ships.
Some will even gift you some of their ships (if you have space free).

To get indications where you might find someone, Cmdr Hayes has a lot of backstory and can tell you a lot.

If you need a starmap:
http://www.star-control.com/starmaps.php has a compilation, the first one was shipped with the box, and is therefore spoiler free, and may give you an indication of where to find some of the aliens.
(direct link to the box-shipped map)