Starting a blind playthrough of Star Control Origins (with videos! No spoilers, please)

This is the place to talk about all things Star Control.

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

Tormuse
Arilou wiseguy

Starting a blind playthrough of Star Control Origins (with videos! No spoilers, please)

Post by Tormuse »

Is there still activity in this forum? Let's see... :)

As the title suggests, I'm doing a blind "Let's Play" of Star Control Origins. I've deliberately avoided all spoilers, so I'm going into this without knowing much of anything regarding plot, characters, or even how much any of it was affected by the rights shenanigans during the making of it.

Video 1 of my series is here.

Star Control 2 was kind of a piece of my childhood back in the day. (As it was for a lot of people in this forum, I think) I don't really expect this new game to fully capture the nostalgia of SC2, but it does look promising so far. :) I appreciate the work that went into the world-building, as well as the style of the humour, and even the music that is clearly remixed from SC2, which gives it a fair bit of the look and feel of the original. I'm excited to see how it turns out. (Or at least cautiously optimistic?) :P

EDIT: Playlist with all episodes is here.
Last edited by Tormuse on Fri Feb 18, 2022 5:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
palmpet
Reborn Shofixti
Location: Hillopia, currently imprisoned in Invictler Slave Hive.

Re: Starting a blind playthrough of Star Control Origins (with videos! No spoilers, please)

Post by palmpet »

Very nice!
"What's the point in being grown-up if you can't be childish sometimes."
Alvarin
ZFP Peacekeeper

Re: Starting a blind playthrough of Star Control Origins (with videos! No spoilers, please)

Post by Alvarin »

Good luck, hope you'll enjoy it!
To be angry is to punish yourself for the errors of others.
Tormuse
Arilou wiseguy

Post by Tormuse »

palmpet wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 3:17 amVery nice!
Alvarin wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 3:35 am Good luck, hope you'll enjoy it!
Thanks! :D

Video 2 is here.

Made my first alliance! Yay! :D Also, got the first inkling of what other races are out there. (The appearance of the Arilou was a surprise; I had assumed there would be no races from the original games) I have lots of leads to follow now, so there are lots of directions the next video could take.

I feel kind of bad for the Tywom; it sounds like every alien race they've met has been pretty unkind to them, even though they seem like such friendly folk. Maybe I sympathize with them too much, because of my own lack of popularity in my own life. Maybe I'd feel less sympathy if one of them hugged me. :P
The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte »

Hey Tormuse! First of all, it's so great to hear from you! :D Also, thanks for sharing your videos, although I've only watched the first one over the weekend. I'm glad that you are so willing to share and we all get to see what you look and sound like!... I've always been a little curious.

So far the graphics and sound have been pretty good and the gameplay seems somewhat familiar to SC2. In fact, there have been a few parallels that I've noticed from SC2, such as the getting an immediate but basic mission from the Starbase commander to planets inside Sol, plus one of them just so happens to be of mollusk ancestry... Coincidence? I think not! :roll: Also, the probe attack was reminiscent of the Ur-Quan probe and/or uncloaked Avenger attack. Plus the dialogue tree that even has the same snarky element at times that "Zelnick" demonstrated. Don't be afraid to explore those conversations too, even if they don't line up with your moral philosophy 100%. What's the worst that could happen? (Me? I just keep a time portal or 2 handy for such an occasion. ;) )

I liked the lander mode too, although it does make the planets seem like a 1-2 kilometer circumference of something, but it looks pretty cool. I'll start watching the next video soon, but...
If I can make a quick suggestion, I'd recommend adding another cargo bay or 2! Ok, I couldn't help myself on that one! :lol:
“He tasks me. He tasks me, and I shall have him! I’ll chase him ’round the moons of Nibia and ’round the Antares maelstrom and ’round Perdition’s flames before I give him up!” ― Khan Noonien Singh
Tormuse
Arilou wiseguy

Post by Tormuse »

Hey Troglodyte! :D I was wondering if you'd show up here! :)

Video 3 is here.

Today, I mostly do a lot of mining, while also meeting a number of decidedly cynical aliens. (What's up with all these people who scoff at me for wanting to help others?) I also got a number of new ships, which I definitely have to properly try out in combat at some point, and not just the Ceres station targeting exercise.
The Troglodyte wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 2:00 am In fact, there have been a few parallels that I've noticed from SC2, such as the getting an immediate but basic mission from the Starbase commander to planets inside Sol, plus one of them just so happens to be of mollusk ancestry... Coincidence? I think not! :roll: Also, the probe attack was reminiscent of the Ur-Quan probe and/or uncloaked Avenger attack. Plus the dialogue tree that even has the same snarky element at times that "Zelnick" demonstrated.
Yeah, I noticed the parallels too, not to mention the presence of an alien race bent on destroying all other life in the galaxy. I do hope the plot gets a chance to move beyond trying to copy elements from SC2 and become its own thing. We'll see, I guess, but there are still enough differences for it to hold my interest. :)
The Troglodyte wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 2:00 am Don't be afraid to explore those conversations too, even if they don't line up with your moral philosophy 100%. What's the worst that could happen? (Me? I just keep a time portal or 2 handy for such an occasion. ;) )
Eh... I'd really rather not have this video be the kind of game where I'm saving and reloading all the time. I imagine that would get tedious to watch, although I will consider that it might be worthwhile to be a little more open to choosing the more silly dialogue options and/or reload more often.
The Troglodyte wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 2:00 am If I can make a quick suggestion, I'd recommend adding another cargo bay or 2! Ok, I couldn't help myself on that one! :lol:
I would be delighted to do so, but it doesn't seem to be an option. :| I hope I get the ability to hold more cargo soon... not to mention more fuel!
palmpet
Reborn Shofixti

Post by palmpet »

I perosnally would recommend more docking bays.
Dyandod
Yehat Revolutionist

Post by Dyandod »

Tormuse wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 12:23 am Is there still activity in this forum? Let's see... :)
We've got lurkers, but you might have to provide the activity yourself. :)

I definitely liked SCO! It didn't have the hard-to-describe "magic" that SC2 had but I enjoyed my stay in the new Star Control universe, so that's all you can really ask for!

Good luck, and have fun!
KYAAAAAIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEE!
palmpet
Reborn Shofixti

Post by palmpet »

I really love it, as all my uploads about it have certainly shown. Serosis has often called me the worlds only Origins Superfan lol. But it can't top Star Control 2 of course, but no one ever expected it would.
Tormuse
Arilou wiseguy

Post by Tormuse »

Oh yeah, I don't expect the game to completely live up to the legacy of SC2, but I can see that it's putting in an effort to that effect, and I've long believed that you can enjoy anything if you go in with the right expectations, so I'm keeping my expectations properly tempered. :)
palmpet wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 3:41 pm I perosnally would recommend more docking bays.
As of the last video, I have two. You think I need more? I'll consider it.