Starting a blind playthrough of Star Control Origins (with videos! No spoilers, please)

This is the place to talk about all things Star Control.

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

Tormuse
Arilou wiseguy

Re: Starting a blind playthrough of Star Control Origins (with videos! No spoilers, please)

Post by Tormuse »

Video 4 is here.

I met the Mukay! Curious, aquatic, tentacled beings who are kind and peaceful, as long as you're not a fish. :P In fact, they're so peaceful, they were unwilling to form an alliance, because they were worried it would mean war, but bringing them around turned out to be as simple a task as giving them a shield to protect them from the Drenkend.

The Drenkend themselves turned out to be not what I expected. Both the Tywom and Mukay described them as militaristic, and people you don't want to meet unless you're ready to fight and die... but it turns out the Drenkend actually resent being forced to fight, so I have a feeling that making peace with them might be simpler than I expected. I suspect that in my next episode, I'll probably try visiting them, if I don't get tied up in too many other side quests. (This game is big on giving you lots of little quests! No complaints, though!)

The Zoq were a neat addition... just the Zoq... not the Fot or Pik, though they are apparently in the game too, as well as the Zebranky. It seems like they have a different origin story this time around, so I look forward to seeing how that plays out.

I also finally got lots of upgrades that I'd been hoping for, such as ones for increasing cargo storage and fuel storage, not to mention more protection for my landers. :) I should be able to make lots more lucrative journeys in future. :)
palmpet
Reborn Shofixti
Location: Hillopia, currently imprisoned in Invictler Slave Hive.

Re: Starting a blind playthrough of Star Control Origins (with videos! No spoilers, please)

Post by palmpet »

It does take some time to get used to the fact there are major and minor races, is odd for star control.
"What's the point in being grown-up if you can't be childish sometimes."
palmpet
Reborn Shofixti
Location: Hillopia, currently imprisoned in Invictler Slave Hive.

Post by palmpet »

Oh also certain Minor races use the same picture, like those Syndicate ships use the slug picture but the Zoq do too. And certain things are also from the DLC, like that Mu'kay starbase.
"What's the point in being grown-up if you can't be childish sometimes."
Tormuse
Arilou wiseguy

Post by Tormuse »

palmpet wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 6:20 am Oh also certain Minor races use the same picture, like those Syndicate ships use the slug picture but the Zoq do too. And certain things are also from the DLC, like that Mu'kay starbase.
I don't recall mention of a "Syndicate" so far, but yeah, that was the impression I got, that some races and ships were being recycled for random encounters, kind of like the pirates in FTL. If that's what's happening, then I'd say it's a bit of a confusing design choice on the part of the dev team to throw that at the player right at the beginning of the game when they're still trying to figure out what's going on and who everyone is. It might have been nice to have some way of delineating the random encounter ships from the regular ones.
The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte »

I finished watching your 2nd video and I'm beginning to think I may need to take the exit ramp and stop watching. Don't get me wrong Tormuse! It has nothing to do with you or your video presentations. In fact, I've been thoroughly enjoying them! (although they can be somewhat slow-moving at times, but still entertaining and informative) It's really just because I've noticed that the game has begun checking all of the boxes that I expect from a game like this and may want to stop watching, so I can go buy the game and play it for myself without having some spoiler insights I'm bound to discover if continue to watch your videos. You've sold me on it!

The one moment for me that helped me come to this conclusion was when you helped that one race and it became sort of a minor optional side quest. I love stuff like that! Another interesting addition was some random artifacts like a crashed Tesla and other useless relics most likely to be scattered about the cosmos and I love finding things like that, even when they have no other purpose for the game, but they simply add to the fun of exploration, and exploring the unknown and making new exciting discoveries is at the very top of my must-have list! I'll be sure to check in on your progress from time to time, especially after I complete my own adventure.

Who knows? Perhaps my own Captain "Zelnick" or "Troglodyte" may once again make an appearance in this forum at some future date. Enjoy your adventures and all the new wonderful discoveries that await you Tormuse!
“He tasks me. He tasks me, and I shall have him! I’ll chase him ’round the moons of Nibia and ’round the Antares maelstrom and ’round Perdition’s flames before I give him up!” ― Khan Noonien Singh
Tormuse
Arilou wiseguy

Post by Tormuse »

The Troglodyte wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 6:03 pm I finished watching your 2nd video and I'm beginning to think I may need to take the exit ramp and stop watching. Don't get me wrong Tormuse! It has nothing to do with you or your video presentations. In fact, I've been thoroughly enjoying them! (although they can be somewhat slow-moving at times, but still entertaining and informative) It's really just because I've noticed that the game has begun checking all of the boxes that I expect from a game like this and may want to stop watching, so I can go buy the game and play it for myself without having some spoiler insights I'm bound to discover if continue to watch your videos. You've sold me on it!
Oh, I understand fully! :) I like to play games as unspoiled as possible, so as a general rule, I don't watch other people play, unless it's a game that I've already finished myself. (Or that I don't expect to play) As for being slow-moving, that's just kind of how I roll, I guess? I like to approach everything slowly and carefully and in a well thought out manner... though I must say that it's pretty funny to be called "slow-moving" by the guy who took over four years to complete SC2. :lol:
The Troglodyte wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 6:03 pm The one moment for me that helped me come to this conclusion was when you helped that one race and it became sort of a minor optional side quest. I love stuff like that! Another interesting addition was some random artifacts like a crashed Tesla and other useless relics most likely to be scattered about the cosmos and I love finding things like that, even when they have no other purpose for the game, but they simply add to the fun of exploration, and exploring the unknown and making new exciting discoveries is at the very top of my must-have list! I'll be sure to check in on your progress from time to time, especially after I complete my own adventure.
Yeah, I think you'd like that aspect of the game, then, because the game seems intent on putting some random thing to be found in almost every, if not every, system. :)
The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte »

Touché Tormuse! :D You definitely got me there! :lol:

An interesting post-script to my SC2 adventures I'd like to share is after my victory in saving the galaxy from almost certain annigi... I mean annahal... I mean... almost certain defeat, that I went back and downloaded the High-Res version and performed a speed run, and (with the help of my mineral charts and other key points) I managed to win the game in one sitting! I'm sure that plenty of people have done the same but not many (or most likely none) can say that they documented every step of their adventure online!

I hope you're able to stay the course and have all of your journey videoed and shared for all to enjoy! Tally forth and keep it up Tormuse!

(I wonder if anyone has ever tried beating the game without ever visiting the Starbase? Hmmm... :P )
“He tasks me. He tasks me, and I shall have him! I’ll chase him ’round the moons of Nibia and ’round the Antares maelstrom and ’round Perdition’s flames before I give him up!” ― Khan Noonien Singh
Tormuse
Arilou wiseguy

Post by Tormuse »

Video 5 is here.

I spent a good chunk of time gathering resources, and a bit of time seeing about some of the optional side quests that I've accumulated. I don't feel like I accomplished a heck of a lot in this session, but at least my ship is more or less upgraded to my satisfaction now. :) I'm thinking that next time, now that I've upgraded my fuel tank, I may see about visiting some of the other major races, like the Drenkend. As I mentioned in my previous post, I'm hopeful that finding a peaceful resolution with them will be easier than I at first expected, but considering that they basically seem to be the right-hand race of the Scryve, I expect it to still be challenging. We'll see...
The Troglodyte wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 1:53 am An interesting post-script to my SC2 adventures I'd like to share is after my victory in saving the galaxy from almost certain annigi... I mean annahal... I mean... almost certain defeat, that I went back and downloaded the High-Res version and performed a speed run, and (with the help of my mineral charts and other key points) I managed to win the game in one sitting! I'm sure that plenty of people have done the same but not many (or most likely none) can say that they documented every step of their adventure online!
It's a fun game to come back to from time to time. :) I've replayed it a number of times over the years and decades. :)
The Troglodyte wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 1:53 am I hope you're able to stay the course and have all of your journey videoed and shared for all to enjoy! Tally forth and keep it up Tormuse!
Thanks! :D
The Troglodyte wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 1:53 am (I wonder if anyone has ever tried beating the game without ever visiting the Starbase? Hmmm... :P )
From what I've seen, that would be a heck of a lot easier in this game than in SC2, considering that you can refuel and reconfigure your ship at any allied starbase, not just the Earth one. The only limiting factor I can think of is if there are any arbitrary event flags triggered by meeting the starbase, but I don't actually have any idea about that.
Draxas
Atum-ta the Sixth

Post by Draxas »

The Troglodyte wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 1:53 am(I wonder if anyone has ever tried beating the game without ever visiting the Starbase? Hmmm... :P )
Since I can't tell if this is a serious question or not...

This is by far the most difficult (or perhaps tedious) challenge run SC2 has to offer. It has, however, definitely been done by several individuals before. UQM, in fact, had to be patched to allow this challenge to be completed; in the original version, the game would hang when you went to see the Chmmr about installing the bomb since that event was supposed to transport you back to the Earth starbase to outfit your ship. Since none of the starbase event flags were tripped, though, the game didn't know what to do with itself and crashed.
Tormuse
Arilou wiseguy

Post by Tormuse »

Draxas wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 5:48 pm
The Troglodyte wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 1:53 am(I wonder if anyone has ever tried beating the game without ever visiting the Starbase? Hmmm... :P )
Since I can't tell if this is a serious question or not...
Psst... Trog is referring to my post here. :) I pointed him in the direction of that thread not too long ago.