Starting a blind playthrough of Star Control Origins (with videos! No spoilers, please)

This is the place to talk about all things Star Control.

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Re: Starting a blind playthrough of Star Control Origins (with videos! No spoilers, please)

Post by The Troglodyte »

Yes, yes, very true... Trog the Enigmatic strikes again! in fact, ever since beating the game I've poked about here and there and found many items of interest, and a No Starbase mission seemed so crazy I simply had to check it out. There is no frickin' way I'd ever even get past that first part of having to deal with so many Slylandro Probes with Fwiffo's StarRunner! Yikes! Just pure whack craziness with a side bucket of insanity, but I'm glad you were able to pull it off Tormuse!

Hey Draxas! Have you played Origins yet?
“He tasks me. He tasks me, and I shall have him! I’ll chase him ’round the moons of Nibia and ’round the Antares maelstrom and ’round Perdition’s flames before I give him up!” ― Khan Noonien Singh
Draxas
Atum-ta the Sixth

Re: Starting a blind playthrough of Star Control Origins (with videos! No spoilers, please)

Post by Draxas »

I haven't. I don't know how likely it is that I ever will, to be honest. I have hundreds of titles in my backlog at this point, and scant little time to engage with the ones I am actually trying to play. Origins completely fell off my radar until this thread brought it up, but both shelling out the money and finding the time to engage with it are pretty unlikely at this point.
Tormuse
Arilou wiseguy

Post by Tormuse »

Video 6 is here.

Well... I wanted this one to be more "interesting." :P I set out on easily my most dangerous mission so far into Drenkend space to see if I could reason with their leaders. I didn't expect it to be easy, and I was correct, but at least I know where to go next... even if I likely won't be able to for some time. The mission was costly, considering I lost two of my irreplaceable ships, but I gained an engineer along the way who reduces my maintenance costs, as well as a new ship I haven't seen before, so... I don't know if I can call that breaking even, since I'm at a point where money isn't really a problem, but being one step closer to dealing with the Scryve's "heavies" has got to be progress.
Draxas wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 5:55 pm I haven't. I don't know how likely it is that I ever will, to be honest. I have hundreds of titles in my backlog at this point, and scant little time to engage with the ones I am actually trying to play. Origins completely fell off my radar until this thread brought it up, but both shelling out the money and finding the time to engage with it are pretty unlikely at this point.

I can relate. I have a ton of games that I theoretically have lined up to play that I don't know if I'll ever get around to. I most likely would never have played Star Control Origins at all, if not for the fact that I won it in a giveaway.
palmpet
Reborn Shofixti
Location: Hillopia, currently imprisoned in Invictler Slave Hive.

Post by palmpet »

I've been kinda skimmin but who do you think you'll try to meet next alien wise?
"What's the point in being grown-up if you can't be childish sometimes."
palmpet
Reborn Shofixti

Post by palmpet »

Also everything gets logged, even if the popup doesn't show up.
Dyandod
Yehat Revolutionist

Post by Dyandod »

Draxas wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 5:55 pm I haven't. I don't know how likely it is that I ever will, to be honest. I have hundreds of titles in my backlog at this point, and scant little time to engage with the ones I am actually trying to play. Origins completely fell off my radar until this thread brought it up, but both shelling out the money and finding the time to engage with it are pretty unlikely at this point.
Depending on your time organization, maybe watching a playthrough while doing something else is a good compromise. I've done that on occasion.
KYAAAAAIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEE!
Tormuse
Arilou wiseguy

Post by Tormuse »

palmpet wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 7:33 pm I've been kinda skimmin but who do you think you'll try to meet next alien wise?
Taking a glance at the starmap again, I'd like to meet some of the close-ish aliens, like the Trandals, the Mowlings, and the Measured, though I think I want to knock down a few of the optional objectives first for stars that are closer. What I'd really like is to find some more starbases, (Precursor or otherwise) so that I can refuel further out, since my current travel range is pretty limited. I'm sure that making more alliances will help with that.
palmpet wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 7:37 pm Also everything gets logged, even if the popup doesn't show up.
Maybe I'm being paranoid, but I'm pretty sure I've seen some info fail to show up there. I'll keep an eye on it anyway.
palmpet
Reborn Shofixti

Post by palmpet »

Remeber there's two different logs, one has just the missions while the other has relevant info.
Tormuse
Arilou wiseguy

Post by Tormuse »

Video 7 is here.

So I started this episode by attending to some optional objectives, which turned out to be pretty fruitful, considering I got an alliance with the Norast and some new construction options for my ship and landers. (Just as I was thinking I could lay off the mining missions for a while, I went and got myself a pile of new things to spend resources on; oh well...) :P

After that, I met the Trandals, which... hmm... somehow, ominous doesn't quite seem to describe them properly. As friendly as they appear to be, I get a dark sense of foreboding from dealing with them, not unlike dealing with the Orz from SC2. I'm still gonna go forward with the alliance with them, I think... after all, going forward with the alliance with the Orz didn't result in disaster, so maybe I'll have the same result here too, right? Right?

I have a suspicion that my concerns that I expressed in the video are true, and that the biological portions of themselves are non-sentient, and being controlled by the mechanical parts... which lines up with their use of the word "husks." I have a feeling the machines consider their biological parts to be disposable vessels that are just there to get them around. I can only hope that their "upgrades" to my ship don't similarly take over my crew, or something like that... and what was up with that last comment about hoping that I'll visit lots of stations? Can they spread themselves around by me visiting places?

Eh... I can't help feeling like I made a terrible mistake. Time will tell, I guess.
palmpet
Reborn Shofixti

Post by palmpet »

Ah the Trandals are great, no spoilers of course but I like them as a race.

And yeah the Verezi telling you about Terran cruisers before they've been made is a dlc oddity.