Starting a blind playthrough of Star Control Origins (with videos! No spoilers, please)

This is the place to talk about all things Star Control.

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

palmpet
Reborn Shofixti
Location: Hillopia, currently imprisoned in Invictler Slave Hive.

Re: Starting a blind playthrough of Star Control Origins (with videos! No spoilers, please)

Post by palmpet »

Also those things in the store are audio logs also from the dlc but they could be considered spoilery, you can listen to them at any time though. In your manifest
Also the ones you haven't bought are because you need a mateiral named Radioactives.
"What's the point in being grown-up if you can't be childish sometimes."
Tormuse
Arilou wiseguy

Re: Starting a blind playthrough of Star Control Origins (with videos! No spoilers, please)

Post by Tormuse »

Yeah, it's weird that the game gives you access to spoilery stuff right at the beginning. For example, it would have been nice (and a lot less confusing) if the first meeting with the Tywom had been my actual introduction to them, rather than all that stuff in the "Codex." (I commented on that in the video) And it doesn't even make sense that I'm getting all these Scryve reports and stuff; like... who am I even trading with for this information? Weird design choices for the DLC.
Tormuse
Arilou wiseguy

Post by Tormuse »

Video 8 is here.

A lot of this session was me gathering more resources... and then immediately spending them all on new stuff. :P I got some pretty nice selection of new equipment, though, including a stun gun for my lander, so I can bring life forms in live and get extra money for them, so there's that. :) Other than that, I saw more evidence that the Trandal "Overmind" is taking over my ship, and pretty much got confirmation of what I already suspected about their plans to have their AI take over our bodies and enslave us all, so... Commander Skyla's apparent lack of concern about this was a little odd. :P

I'm not sure where to go or what to do to get rid of the Overmind virus, and I'm still wondering if it would have helped to pick the more aggressive option when dealing with the Trandals. I'm also wondering if it's bad to be visiting other worlds before getting rid of the virus, like if I'm spreading it everywhere I go... but then since I don't know where to go to get rid of it, I have to experiment with visiting various people anyway. Hopefully, we don't all lose our minds before then. :P (Oh, wait, now that I think about it, I think there was a location mentioned in the notes about information gleaned from the Overmind; I'll have to check that out next time)

Meanwhile, the search for information about the Lexites hit a dead end. Apparently, they left for an extra long journey away from "W51," whatever that means. It doesn't seem to be a star. Is it referring to a section of the galaxy? Or a direction of the galaxy's spin? I dunno. Maybe I should ask Skyla about that next session. Maybe she'll have some more insight.
palmpet
Reborn Shofixti
Location: Hillopia, currently imprisoned in Invictler Slave Hive.

Post by palmpet »

W51 Star cluster is a real life section of space, the lexites apparnelty caught wind of something from there and ran like hell in the opposite directions.
"What's the point in being grown-up if you can't be childish sometimes."
Tormuse
Arilou wiseguy

Post by Tormuse »

Video 9 is here.

I decided that clearing the Overmind virus should be my top priority, though I still collected some minerals and life forms along the way. I found some free actually fully biological Trandals that managed to escape the Overmind... (Sorry, I mean "Overmind," not "the Overmind," since that's how the Trandals refer to it; I probably have Starcraft on my mind) :P ...and I actually feel pretty bad for what Overmind put the Trandals through, considering that it wiped out all of their cultural history so completely that the Trandals are desperate for even small glimpses of what their people might have been like before Overmind took them over. Very sad. :(

Anyway, they led me to "Next Location," which was the Measured's homeworld. Now, it's time to deal with the headache of the Scryve's bureaucracy. :P
palmpet wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 10:00 pm W51 Star cluster is a real life section of space, the lexites apparnelty caught wind of something from there and ran like hell in the opposite directions.
Ah, neat! You learn something new every day. :)
Tormuse
Arilou wiseguy

Post by Tormuse »

Video 10 is here.

Finally got rid of that darn Overmind. It ended up being at least a little easier than I expected, but the Trandals still predictably gave me another quest once I got back to them. I also finally found that vault in the Livoren cluster I had been looking for, but the weapon inside seemed kind of underwhelming. Even if it does a lot of damage, hitting my targets with it is difficult with the low firing rate of one shot at a time and limited range; overall, I much prefer the gatling laser I've been using lately.

With the influx of RUs in this episode, hopefully, I can hold off on mining missions for a while and get back to knocking down mission objectives. With the Scryve encroaching on our territory, it would probably be prudent to see to the Drenkend sooner rather than later.
Tormuse
Arilou wiseguy

Post by Tormuse »

Video 11 is here.

Sorry it's been a while since I last posted. I was dealing with some nonsense that kept me away from playing this for a while. You'll hear me complain about it a fair bit in the actual video, so I won't say any more about it here. :P

Anyway, I finally got the Syndicate off my back, which turned out to be pretty easy to do, and got some new ships out of the deal too. :) (Which... now that I think about it, I didn't actually test yet; I'll have to do that in the next session)

Besides that, I set out on a mission to deal with the Drenkend, which I was under the impression required the Menkmack, so I visited the Menkmack homeworld, but that turned out to be totally redundant, and while I eventually resolved the situation in the end, I'm still a bit miffed about the fact that the game misled me by specifically telling me that the Menkmack were required to complete the Drenkend quest. Oh well... all's well that ends well, I guess.

Found out about some new races too. More people to visit! Woo! :D
The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte »

Hey Tormuse! I bought Star Control Origins and I've been playing it for awhile, but I keep having trouble navigating the lander on planets. Can you share with me your button configuration for the planetary lander?
“He tasks me. He tasks me, and I shall have him! I’ll chase him ’round the moons of Nibia and ’round the Antares maelstrom and ’round Perdition’s flames before I give him up!” ― Khan Noonien Singh
Tormuse
Arilou wiseguy

Post by Tormuse »

The Troglodyte wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 8:30 pm Hey Tormuse! I bought Star Control Origins and I've been playing it for awhile, but I keep having trouble navigating the lander on planets. Can you share with me your button configuration for the planetary lander?
Yeah, sure. Arrow keys to move, right-ctrl to fire, right-shift for speed boost, slash to strafe right, period to strafe left, space bar to jump. As a general rule, I like key configurations where I don't have to look down or move my hands around. With these keys, I can have my thumb fire, my index and middle fingers strafe, and my pinky jump, and I can move my index finger one key over to the shift key to boost when I need it. (This potentially means I can't strafe and boost at the same time, but there aren't really any circumstances when there's a reason to do that)

And of course, escape is the panic button to get the heck out of there. :)

I hope this helps. :)
The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte »

Thanks Tormuse! I'll give it a try! :D
“He tasks me. He tasks me, and I shall have him! I’ll chase him ’round the moons of Nibia and ’round the Antares maelstrom and ’round Perdition’s flames before I give him up!” ― Khan Noonien Singh