Starting a blind playthrough of Star Control Origins (with videos! No spoilers, please)

This is the place to talk about all things Star Control.

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

palmpet
Reborn Shofixti
Location: Hillopia, currently imprisoned in Invictler Slave Hive.

Re: Starting a blind playthrough of Star Control Origins (with videos! No spoilers, please)

Post by palmpet »

Small fun fact about the DLC, the art for all the new aliens in the Liberators v. Syndicate chapter was done by our very own Kwayne64! Who did art for UQM HD and Project 6014. It includes one alien that was actually repurosed from one of his Project 6014 designs.
"What's the point in being grown-up if you can't be childish sometimes."
Draxas
Atum-ta the Sixth

Re: Starting a blind playthrough of Star Control Origins (with videos! No spoilers, please)

Post by Draxas »

Admittedly that is cool. I always like to hear about artists and musicians from the small communities I frequent getting to work on big projects.

Way late, but congrats KWayne!
palmpet
Reborn Shofixti

Post by palmpet »

I actually volunteer on the offical wiki for the game and I was able to get the orignal full quality images of all his stuff that made it in.

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcontrol/co ... urce=share
Tormuse
Arilou wiseguy

Post by Tormuse »

Video 24 is here.

I followed up on a lead from one of the Syndicate fellows and I was surprised to find that it led to a Measured ship that included voice-acting from the Measured's voice actor. At first, I thought maybe the makers of the DLC were able to recruit that one voice actor for their post-game content, but then the quest led to content on the Measured's homeworld, including backstory for their race and surprisingly detailed backstory for the faction of 8, not to mention some social upheaval when the Measured realize what the Scryve did to them, which leads me to believe that this was actually supposed to be part of the original game, before the Scryve got eliminated, and I just accidentally skipped it until now. Better late than never, I guess? :P

It did seem odd that up 'til now, the Measured were the only one of the Scryve's wards that I wasn't able to turn against them; this would've fit the story a lot better if it had happened much earlier... but I'm really not sure how I would've found it, except by aimless exploring. The star where I found the Measured ship was the very definition of the middle of nowhere. In any case, it neatly highlights how jarring a change there is between the original game and the post-game content, since all the post-game content strives to involve the main cast of aliens as little as possible, and have as little consequences as possible.

And now that that interesting content is done, I guess I'll be going back to the less interesting post-game content. Oh well... :P
Draxas wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 4:56 pm An open letter to game devs:

DLC is not mandatory to release. If you don't have any good ideas, don't half-ass it because your customers will notice. If your good ideas aren't working out, it's OK to keep refining them, save them for a sequel, or even just outright scrap them if they are going to drag down the quality of your work. Nothing makes people angrier than the sense that they've been ripped off, keep that in mind when you can't figure out why sales for the sequel aren't as high as expected.

Then again, maybe this should be an open letter to the businesspeople who make these decisions, not the devs themselves (who by and large, actually want to make a quality product).
Oh yeah, I'm definitely in favour of quality over quantity. In fact, having quantity over quality is doubly bad, because not only are you suffering through something that sucks, but the suffering lasts an extra long time. I would rather they put the polish on something that is short, but good.
palmpet wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 3:33 am Small fun fact about the DLC, the art for all the new aliens in the Liberators v. Syndicate chapter was done by our very own Kwayne64! Who did art for UQM HD and Project 6014. It includes one alien that was actually repurosed from one of his Project 6014 designs.
Hey, that's really cool! :) There's some good quality artwork in there. It's unfortunate that you don't get to appreciate the detail in the actual game, since they're shrunk down to thumbnail size.
palmpet
Reborn Shofixti

Post by palmpet »

The Librarian and all that faction of eight lore is new but the Measured backstory thing is basegame. And yeah that faction of eight lore was one of the things I actually liked in the DLC, that combined with the scryves speech and audio logs helps piece together a nice bit of lore, like how one of the audio logs descriptions implies its by the Pythis.

About your question about the scryve empires size, thats answered in the audio logs, this sector the Mid Spur is Scryve Sector 003, which is encompassed entirely in our hyperspace map, so evidently there are atleast two more large map chunks they own, or owned.

Oh quick warning! An upcoming quest either intentionally or glitch makes it so you are locked into only helping one faction so make plenty of hard saves. If you don't mind minor spoilers I can tell you the specific best point. Only warning in-case you end up helping the side you don't want to in the end.

When dealing with fighting aliens you'll be given the option of either resolving their conflict or give weapons to one side, save before that
Tormuse
Arilou wiseguy

Post by Tormuse »

Video 25 is here.
palmpet wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 2:21 pm Oh quick warning! An upcoming quest either intentionally or glitch makes it so you are locked into only helping one faction so make plenty of hard saves. If you don't mind minor spoilers I can tell you the specific best point. Only warning in-case you end up helping the side you don't want to in the end.

When dealing with fighting aliens you'll be given the option of either resolving their conflict or give weapons to one side, save before that
Thanks for this warning. :) I got to that point, and it definitely looks like a glitch. I accidentally picked the wrong option the first time, and it seemed to break the game, so I reloaded and went with helping the Liberators this time. You get told the location of the Syndicate headquarters no matter which option you choose, so it certainly seems like the intention was for you to be able to hedge your bets between them and decide at the last minute whether to fight the Syndicate headquarters or to fight Agent 71 of the Liberators. The fact that it breaks when you pick the Syndicate option is yet another sign of the lack of polish and play-testing that went into this DLC.

In any case, at this point, I just wanted to wrap up this sub-plot, so I went and attacked the Syndicate headquarters, and got treated to the exact same boss fight I've done like four of so far, and then got treated to probably the most lacklustre ending sequence in video game history, where the Liberators were like "thanks for your help. We'll probably ask for more of your help later. We'll contact you." And that was it... and just... wow... were the writers trying to make this as unsatisfying as possible? They may have succeeded! :P

And with that, I finally completed all my objectives! Every single objective on my in-game list had the green "completed" sign, so... yay...? I guess...? ...except no, wait, I got another pop-up saying "Go to next location," like this game has done 18 bazillion times before... Sigh...

Except it's worse than that, because "next location" is "Beacon-807," but it doesn't tell me where "Beacon-807" is, and it's not on my starmap. I tried asking around at various races to see if there was any indication, but it's all the default dialogue. I gave up and looked up the Star Control Origins Wiki to discover that there is zero information about it there! Some Googling turned up a Steam Community page, though, which names the system, and it's one I've never been to before in Scryve space, but it still doesn't say how you're supposed to find this out, short of just visiting each of the hundreds of stars on the starmap. The page also lists the things you need to do for the quest, and it's more of the same of "go here, then go here, then go here."

I think I'm done with this game now. Every time it comes close to having something interesting, it yanks it away. This is frustrating and really heckin' boring. Is anyone still following this playthrough at this point? Is there any demand for me to finish this? I mean I get the impression that I'm close-ish to the end, so if there's some demand for it, I may pick this up again, but I'm feeling like I need a break from it.
palmpet
Reborn Shofixti

Post by palmpet »

One of your mission logs things should be able to direct you to the beacon, I remeber that clearly. That said, don't tortue yourself by keep playing. I'm the only person here whose in love with the game and I don't wanna watch if you aren't having fun. Again I don't blame you for the distaste for the DLC, I don't find it as bad as you do but I would never ascribe to the word "quality" to it.

I still hold that the main bulk of what the core game was.... was a lot of fun. All the plots about the various races and how to ally them, thats why I love the game personally.

You clearly won't be missing much by skipping out this last part, the ending isn't very satisfying, the best part added by it was the audio logs but those were integrated into the basegame. There's also a kinda fun minigame involving a bar and a return of a certain chatacter from the basegame, but I don't think it'll be worth it.

Oh on a seperate note, I personally sided with the Syndicate in the end, their plan for survial seemed more reasonable to me.
Tormuse
Arilou wiseguy

Post by Tormuse »

palmpet wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 2:28 am I still hold that the main bulk of what the core game was.... was a lot of fun. All the plots about the various races and how to ally them, thats why I love the game personally.
I'm with you 100% on this point. When I started, I was having fun, and looking forward to each session when I got to play again. That's why it was so disappointing when the quality took a nosedive. If I was going to recommend this game to anyone, I would have to qualify it by saying only up until the Xraki are defeated. It just becomes a slog after that.

The most frustrating part is there are many glimpses of content that is almost interesting, but it's all squandered. One thing I left out of my above report was a sub-plot about a Scryve ship that has different views about humanity and thinks that what his people are doing is wrong and is going to lead to the inevitable destruction of their empire, and there's sort of a moral choice of whether or not to help him, even though he's your enemy... but it ends up not mattering or having any impact on anything. You can help him or you can destroy him and nothing comes of it either way. The idea of a member of this genocidal empire engaging in self-reflection and taking a risk in helping humanity could have been an interesting story, but the game does nothing with it.
palmpet wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 2:28 am Oh on a seperate note, I personally sided with the Syndicate in the end, their plan for survial seemed more reasonable to me.
Yeah, honestly, I wouldn't blame anyone for going either way on that point. The Liberators make a point of saying "we're the good guys!" ...but then engage in just as much shady underhanded stuff as the Syndicate. As for who has the more reasonable survival plan, it really isn't clear to me, because there's no indication of the scope of whatever threat is coming.

And that's setting aside the fact that there had to be thousands of people on that Syndicate station who were just trying to survive; can I really say that destroying them was the morally righteous thing to do? I only have the Liberators' word for it that the Syndicate is so bad that it "deserves" to be destroyed, and they aren't exactly the most honest people in the galaxy. All I know for sure is it really didn't feel heroic.

Bleah... I should probably play something else for a while. Any recommendations? :)
palmpet
Reborn Shofixti

Post by palmpet »

I personally don't have trouble seeing the kind of things its leading up to for the sequel. The scope of the threat isn't exactly clear, but its big enough to the point where an escape plan seems much more reasonable than trying to fight it, as thats clearly what the Scryve have tried. The idea that some Scryve are willing to allow humanity to just do as they please is expanded a bit in the final chapter. Also everything post Xraki is just DLC, so you might aswell say don't bother with the DLC.

As for recomendations I don't know enough about ya, what you like, what you have and haven't played.
Draxas
Atum-ta the Sixth

Post by Draxas »

I feel sympathy when someone is having a bad time with a game they're doing a let's play for, not catharsis. If you say you're done, I say you've more than earned it at this point.

I have piles of games I could recommend going all the way back to the NES and DOS PCs. Just choose your platform and what kind of thing you would want to play, and I'll have something to suggest.