FREE STARS: Children of Infinity crowdfunding on Kickstarter NOW (until May 17th 2024)

Ahh, vague omens and mysterious portents. Tangled webs of fate intertwined with the branches of destiny, blown by the capricious winds of happenstance. News, news....uh, actually there is some news!

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

Frumple
Site Admin

FREE STARS: Children of Infinity crowdfunding on Kickstarter NOW (until May 17th 2024)

Post by Frumple »

Whoopdy Dee and Trolly Bazoo! FREE STARS: Children of Infinity has launched their crowdfunding on Kickstarter!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/pi ... f-infinity

I think I was in first 5 or so backers, I think I remember seeing "4 backers" when I completed my initial pledge.

I went back and added more to my pledge, like extra copies of all the physical items as "Add-Ons"!

There is plenty of time to think about adding more funding and add-ons as there are 31 days total!

The crowdfunding campaign fully funded in the first 4 hours or so ($100,000). Stretch goals have already started...

I don't count my chickens before they hatch but, I'd be shocked if all of the initial? goals ($670,000) aren't met before this is all over.

This Kicktraq website will help you keep track of how things are going and try to guess trends...

https://www.kicktraq.com/projects/pisto ... -infinity/

Despite what Kicktraq says on day one, I will be utterly shocked if FREE STARS: Children of Infinity hits 4.4 milllion for the highest? stretch goal before this is dust.

*REMEMBER* you aren't charged for what you pledge until the *end* of the campaign. So you don't pay until 31 days from now. That means pledge now, pledge early!!!

It's all about stretch goals now!! Waiting or delaying only causes *frumple* too much.

Image "...Dogar And Kazon Clack Their Mandibles Against One Another And Snicker With Amusement." Image
krulle
Yehat Revolutionist

Re: FREE STARS: Children of Infinity crowdfunding on Kickstarter NOW (until May 17th 2024)

Post by krulle »

Yay!

When I yesterday last checked, the stretch goals were not yet visible. (Or I missed the tab button - may just be me, so hyped...)

Damn, I must find someone with a credit card willing to order for me...
It annoys me the sale happens through a website that only offers credit card payment.

THANKS to a wonderful colleague.

[I'll try to update this post regularly to reflect the pledges]

(this image updates itself regularly)

Updates:
100k goal met: game fully funded with the basic game functions; in under 3 hours.

First stretch goal unlocked! Enhanced Super Melee!
More Ships! - 20 more ships added to Super Melee.
This does NOT mean all previous ships will be in: i.e. Slylandro still not part of Melee ships

third stretch goal: Captain's Windows!
- YES! We will get to see the captains and crew during the battle, and their movements to pilot the ship(s).

Fourth stretch goal reached: Gas Giant Gameplay

Fifth stretch goal: Mac&Linux releases
Sixth stretch goach reached: PC DRM free on other platforms (on Steam with the required Steam interface, but GoG will likely get to sell the game DRM free as well.
And I've been told that the extra distributions ARE extra work, although maybe not a ton of work (hence only a 20k step)
Seventh stretch goal reached: Local Melee Gameplay, time to cause keyjams, or push your friend off his chair to gain a short-lived advantage!
Eighth stretch goal reached: additional languages. Now our German, French, Spanish, and Italian speaking friends can show their children the Free Stars universe!

Ninth Stretch Goal reached: Interior game play, GO FLOYD!
Floyd!!! wrote:The team is excited to have budget to create these adventures after scaling this feature back partway through pre-production. We had big plans for Floyd! We were sad to see them go, and Floyd lived on in our hearts and minds as a one of the things we missed the most. Now we are no longer sad. Fwiffo, however, might be concerned to have someone else jockeying for his mascot status.
Tenth stretch goal reached: Local co-op gameplay, which will let two players experience the Adventure mode cooperatively, side-by-side in real life.

Eleventh stretch goal reached: Bonus Languages: three more languages, and backers get to decide which ones (if there's a realistic target audience - Klingon has to wait for fan translations)

Twelfth stretch goal reached: Console Ports: oh yes. The consoles, which helped make UQM a success (3DO), will be part of the game. X-series, PlayStation, Switch.

And after the ports to consoles comes: English Voiceover, which in the original only became possible because of the port to the 3DO.
Last edited by krulle on Thu May 16, 2024 9:00 am, edited 13 times in total.
krulle
Yehat Revolutionist

Re: FREE STARS: Children of Infinity crowdfunding on Kickstarter NOW (until May 17th 2024)

Post by krulle »

Additione slot-limited backer tiers will launch tomorrow:
https://twitter.com/theurquanmaster/sta ... 0424946748

Update 6 of Kickstarter
for 600$: Private Playtest
for 4.400$: Modding Membership Club
for 10.000$: Precursor Legacy
krulle
Yehat Revolutionist

Post by krulle »

Update #7: twitch streams return!

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/2122442332

around 31 minutes, they show Dan's doodle "thedead", and finally the ship that came out of the design process.
after which they show the lander 3D model; and other ships. And the differences in designs, because some are in 2D, some are a mix of 2D and 3D (app. minute 40), and some are fully 3D animated (app. minute 44); and the current Mmrnmhrm design.

(around 1:12 into the stream)
Currently they are talking why initial goal was "only 100k".
And why the highest stretch goal is 4.400.000 $.
Which is partly a number because they really give something away, although at that time (in 2 years) it likely won't be worth that anymore.
And it's a reference to Channel 44.

And a LOOOOOOONG discussion of why the probe is/will not be part of the new game "out of the box".
The main idea is to have the users make a "probe jam": design and implement the probe in the moddable part of the game, and thereby get confident to also create other games.
Many other ideas just thrown around randomly, as possible kickstarter rewards....

around 1:50: they hit the Mac and Linux native versions stretch goal

Twitch schedule:

https://twitter.com/theurquanmaster/status/1780661076960645398 wrote:Free Stars: Children of Infinity has been selected by
@Kickstarter
as a "Project We Love"!! Well, we love it too! Spread the word!! #ProjectWeLove
[edit]: I put more info about the kickstarter twitch stream content when I rewatched it. Live, the time difference between West Coast and Europe became too large...

And wow, Dan really filled the 4 hours with talk.
Great counterweight to Fred.
Works as a team fantastically.

I mostly listened to the audio while working, so I missed a lot of Fred's answers in the chat (Fred4d).
On the q of audio, he replied that they'll use the godot built-in music support, so likely that'll mean no mods.
And Riku Nuottajärvi and (through Riku) Dan Nicholson has been sent an e-mail by Fred (02:03:03) to ask whether he would again compose music for the game.
Dan meanwhile did not lose a word about the music/audio of the game. (Fred mentioned the mail to Riku at the start of the stream sometime, that now they have budget to pay artists.)
krulle
Yehat Revolutionist

Post by krulle »

News update: Starmap showcase:
krulle
Yehat Revolutionist

Post by krulle »

News update:
Addressing common questions
like: can we exchange the steam key for a GoG/itch key? - YES, you can. (and if we'll hit the console ports target, you can also select the console key instead. - and if you took multiple keys, you can select different targets for your keys)

My kids are looking forward to see how the game is handled on PC, and how it might be handled on the Nintendo Switch.
And one already asked if there'll be an iOS version (iPad). (Not likely)
Alvarin
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Alvarin »

I wonder how they plan on doing the local versus post-pandemic. Like getting someone into your residence? Sharing a keyboard?!
To be angry is to punish yourself for the errors of others.
krulle
Yehat Revolutionist

Post by krulle »

Oh sure!

For melee, they already have a version of that running, it just needs polishing.
But for the adventure game? Their idea is split-screen, like many console games do.
First test wasn't bad from their side (but ultimately based on two versions co-op over the network - technically they ran two instances on the same PC).

Thing is, for Melee people know and liked it. But for the adventure game, when everyone goes in different directions?

I'm curious to see how it'll be handled, and if joystick support is there, one on joystick, the other on keyboard.

My kids have to share a PC, so they're looking forward to this feature.
(and they already like the idea of getting German in the initial release.)

And beside my oldest, none of them have problems getting into close contact.
Lice? hello!
Eth
Shining Being of Pure Light and Blissful Love

Post by Eth »

Whoop! Very exciting! Backed (of course)!
krulle
Yehat Revolutionist

Post by krulle »

As expected, it has slowed down. but hey, still three weeks to go.

Looking at Kicktraq's projection, we won't hit the voiceovers.
But hey, we still get FLOYD!!!!